Monday, November 5, 2012

Counting our Blessings



After 4 days of no power it is easy to begin complaining.  Last week I made a choice not to complain but to rather count my blessings.  At times I slipped and complained here or there....  However, I am aware that I have many blessings.
I have neighbors, with power, who made us a caraffe of hot coffee every morning.  We could have made it on our own on the camp stove or grill, but not having to is such a simple gift of friendship.  Waking up to a cold house and a gray sky is much easier when you see a friendly face offering you a bit of warmth and comfort.
I have family close by.  We were able to take hot showers, do laundry and share a meal at my mother and my sister’s house.  We spent much of the week at home since Greg did his best to work from home.  We have dogs to care for and elderly next door neighbors who we help out.  Knowing that I had places to go when we needed to get out is reassuring.  
Our wood stove insert was a great investment for us.  Our house is not very large and the stove is able to heat our main living area and take the chill out of the bedroom upstairs.  We have never burned this much wood this early in the season and we may need another delivery.  My focus last week was not on conserving our wood supply, but rather keeping my family warm.
My girls weathered this storm much better than I anticipated.  They have not complained, argued or sulked.  They worked much of the week completing lessons in history, math, science, reading and writing.  Having work to do kept us on some sort of a routine, even if it was not the one we are used to.  I never realized how much I rely on my routine.  I am a creature of habit.  I like starting my day with coffee and blogging.  I like having alone time before the girls get up to plan our day and arrange their lessons.  Having this major disruption has affected me and my sense of balance.  I am grateful that my girls have rolled with it and made the necessary adjustments with relative ease in comparison to their mother!
My husband is an amazing provider for our family.  When we came downstairs every morning, he already had the fire started.  He took over keeping our kitchen clean and hand washing the dishes we used.  He cleaned up the storm debris and learned how to use the generator.   He is truly my best friend and my life partner.  
It sounds silly, but my dogs are a blessing to me in hard times.  It is nearly impossible to feel bad when a ball of warm fur is sitting on you looking at you with puppy dog eyes wanting nothing more from you than love.  The dogs have a special role in our family.  They are almost like therapy dogs.  They know when we need comfort and they ease stress and provide comic relief!  I can’t imagine our family without them, even though we came so close to losing Daph two weeks ago.
Our electricity was restored Friday night around 9pm.  For this I am most grateful.  Not because we have our “power” back, but because my neighbors do.  They are elderly.  They rely on a chair lift to get safely to bed.  They do not have a heating unit, nor the ability to cook when their power is out.  Our family took over the cooking for them, providing them with hot meals each day.  We stopped in with coffee every morning and dinner every night.  With a nor’easter on the way, it is getting cold.  I slept well, knowing that they were once again safe in their own home.

8 comments:

Frogcreek said...

I am so glad that you take such good care of your neighbors. They really do need you. It's really a special act of kindness and one, what you do for them. But what goes around comes around, your neighbors are helping you, and believe me, coffee is HUGE!

Frogcreek said...

Um, that should be kindness and love, not one... :>)

firstgood said...

Glad you are all safe and love reading your blcg. Very inspiring

Karen said...

Loved readiing how you counted your nlessings during is time. S glad you have power and your neighbors have it too. Working by firelight sounds lovely.

karisma said...

(((HUGS))) Glad things are getting back to normal for you. I remember when we were in a similar predicament except in our case after the day 4 of no power we made the decision to install the wood fire oven. Oh how I wished we had one in those days. Yep we froze for those four days . It was certainly an eye opener for us. Funny how we take such things for granted these days. I sometimes think that living without power would probably not be such a bad thing. It certainly brings people together doesn't it? Take care. <3

Karen said...

Argh I hate commenting on my iPad. Sorry for the typos. ;)

aree1997 said...

Aww , it's really cheery that you have got this type of neighbours and they are blessing actually :)My mum always tell me to count blessings , not to look at coming problems :) Great blog :)

Theresa Bond said...

Homeschooling was such a blessing to us, too! We got so much done and it kept our minds busy from complaining. I found that when left to their own devices my girls were at each other's throats, but when we were reading together or discussing something or whatever, all was peaceful and we did great work. Unlike you, I loved not having anywhere to go!!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...