Monday, November 26, 2012

Every Book is a Gift



I am still working on my series about our curriculum and what the girls have accomplished this fall, but we are also in the midst of Christmas preparations.  Friday I took the time to venture to the library to check out Christmas books.  I did not want novels, but rather short, beautifully illustrated picture books that can be read in one sitting.
I found old favorites like Madeline’s Christmas, a story that we read all the time when they were little.   My girls have not heard it in so long it has been forgotten.  I found what are sure to be new favorites, like a few stories from the Little House books, some Tomie DePaola classics, and at least one nativity story.  I loaded up my tote with 26 books (I found a great holiday sheet music book for the girls) and crossed my fingers that I would not get scolded for taking out too many in one subject area.  
I Instagrammed my trip and when the girls checked their account they figured out what I was up to.  Being an elf in a former life, Lilah used her fabulous holiday beautifying skills to quickly prepare a wrapping station where she and her sister got to work wrapping each book.  Now when they begin choosing books December 1st, each will be a surprise, each a gift.




12 comments:

  1. GREAT IDEA - If you don't mind I will use this with my 5 year old son. We love to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you???!!! I have been searching for your blog to see if you have been posting and I could not find it! I hope you are all well and enjoying the start to this holiday season. Steal this idea! I saw it somewhere else and stole it so I am just paying it forward. Email me and let me know how you are doing! moments2teach@gmail.com

      ~Jess

      Delete
  2. This is a GREAT idea! Keilee and I plan on going to the library Wednesday and doing this. Love all the pictures Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you found a library close enough to you that will sustain you while yours is under renovation? I really almost started hyperventilating when I walked out of the children's department with 25 books from the same topic/category. Remember back when, I posted the ridiculous sign that hangs in my library stating you can only take out 2 book on the same topic. Thankfully they must have the Christmas spirit and let me take them all out!

      Delete
  3. Love this! And all the Instagram pictures were great! I think we may have to take a cue from you and try this book tradition as well. And I'm thinking we need to add a few new ones to our collection too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a brand new tradition for us! I have always wanted to do it and never had it together enough to have the books ready by December 1 and then once the 1st passed I always felt it was too late to start. I don't know what is going on but this year I really feel like I can relax and just enjoy the holiday. It is a great feeling!

      Delete
  4. That is an awesome idea, one I would have never ever thought of. I guess I should get on over to the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not my idea, I saw it somewhere.......a few years ago. I wanted to do it but never prepared it ahead of time. Every time Lilah walks by the books she sighs and says she can't wait until December 1st....

      Delete
  5. I love the idea, except for the wrapping part. The amount of paper that gets wasted at xmas nearly makes me cry. I know these days they recycle it but still. ... not trying to be a scrooge at all, I just love trees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not the most "green" project and for the most part we live our lives in a way that is in harmony with nature as much as possible. But this was one of those moments of pure joy when the waste was worth it. This child is amazing. That paper will get turned into gift cards, show up in her art journal, become characters in her stories, be made into gift tags, note cards......like I said.....she truly was an Elf in her former life!

      Delete
  6. That's a great idea and I am robbed your idea to do the same here at home. BUT instead of borrowing 26 books at one time, I am only checking out 7 books for a week's worth at a time. I wrapped the first 7 books in secret and brought them downstairs and put under our tree. It was a huge hit with my kids. Every morning after devotions, there is a fight to see who is going to open the Christmas book we are going to read next. Once it's read I am taking it back to the library to give others a chance to read them too before Christmas.

    Thank you so much for sharing this great idea. I am adding it to my monthly learning log. :) As for the wrapping paper, I might re-used it for the next books.

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...