Friday, December 21, 2012

Fashion Design


The green shirt and red skirt were designed and produced by LSSN Designs!
Lilah has been developing a new interest - fashion design.  Discarded designs litter her bedroom floor.  A brand name and logo have been created.  Lilah is desperate for a dress form made from duct tape and pvc piping, and that is on our to-do list along with a much needed trip to Joanne's for fabric! 
I remember when I wanted a career in fashion.  I thought it would be fabulous to travel to the world’s fashions capitals and buy fabulous clothes from fabulous designers for fabulous stores.  I took art lessons and Italian lessons (so I could speak fluently while traveling to Milan).  In my dreams I would have attended the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York.  
The reality was that I choose to study International Business in order to have a broader understanding of how business works and have more options available to me, than if I had a degree in something specialized like Merchandising.  I learned that a foreign language is not easy to learn if you do not have the opportunity to immerse yourself in it.  My interests and passions changes, as they often do, and I ended up moving away from my dreams of fashion. But once upon a time I was a girl with a dream.
Once upon a time, I remember my father telling me it was wise to choose a career based on a specific skill set.  Mechanics will always be marketable so long as there are cars on the roads.  Accountants can earn a decent income doing tax returns for those of us who have very complicated returns.  Computer technicians, hair stylists, plumbers, electricians.  Given the state of our economy and the fears that it may not dramatically improve any time soon, having a skill is a wise choice.  
When Grace shows an interest in computer programming and Lilah in being a seamstress, I want to pursue these interests.  Sure Grace may have her heart set on Meteorology (which can be a skill i.e. forensic meteorology) but perhaps she may also be a certified electrician on the side.  Lilah may want to be a baker but with sewing skills she can make aprons, table cloths, napkins and truly develop a brand.  If she continues to develop her writing, she can be a freelance writer, a novelist, a professional blogger, a technical writer.  The possibilities are endless.  

4 comments:

Frogcreek said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see what all of our kids will be doing in the future.

Theresa Novak said...

I often think we need to think differently in this economy about how to help our children make career decisions. The service industry will always be necessary and many of the jobs can not be transported overseas.

I can just see a little bakery shop on a quaint village green with homemade baked goods and handmade aprons and oven mitts and things...oh, and maybe some dog biscuits .. and possibly a little section of homemade deodorants and felted soaps!! It would be the kind of shop I would want to come in and visit!

Jessica said...

It is so funny you say that because there is a little house just off our green that has been purchased and renovated. Every time we drive by we wonder if it will be commercial or residential. We talked how it would be the perfect house to live upstairs and have a bakery/used bookstore downstairs. This is a dream of mine. I would love to partner with Lilah on it!

Jessica said...

Whatever it is, I am sure it will be something great!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...