Thursday, December 6, 2012

What If?


I am lovin’ Pinterest lately.  Any of you who follow me there know this already by the amount of pinning I have been doing lately.  What I love best about it is that it is something that the girls and I share.  I know what crafting projects they would like to try or what recipes they would like to make.  Just last night I made some awesome chicken marinated, broiled, smothered in bacon and drenched in cheese.  Soooo not something we usually eat in our house, but delicious none the less!
Most of what I find on Pinterest are things that catch my eye and inspire me to bake, cook, journal, or teach.  This week I stumbled upon something that has inspired me to pray.  

This is a very simple statement.  What if?  I have a close personal relationship with God.  Most of the time I choose not to blog about it.  But I really want to share this because this is something that I know, count your blessings, be grateful, give, pray.... yet this simple sentence made me much more aware of how I need to take the time within myself to share my gratitude.  How often do I stop and actually thank God for the things that are most important in my life: my children, my husband, my family, my friends, my home, my ability to feed my family, my dogs, my freedoms, my faith......?
What if I woke up tomorrow and had none of these things?  
Now every night before I drift off to sleep, I thank God for what matters most in my life.  I may not always be the best mom or the best wife or the best friend but before I close out the day, I need to give thanks for my blessings.  Those core things never change.  They are my constants.
In the course of the day there are little surprises that I now stop and appreciate.  Last night I was grateful for LCC - for this little group of girls brings joy and happiness into our home.  I was grateful that Grace was able to spend the day with the brothers of these girls and played games that she never knew before.  I was grateful that I ordered a very meaningful gift for Greg for Christmas and that the gifts I am giving this year are ones that I simply cannot wait to share. I was grateful for listening to Grace read the 4th advent Christmas book, about a Christmas long ago set in Danbury in 1910 and that the girls learned about the Sears Roebuck catalog that I am old enough to remember!  I was grateful it was my last night sleeping alone and that Greg will soon be home from his last business trip until after the holidays.  
I don’t need to write these things down every day.  I feel no need to journal them.  I just need to recount them, to be aware of them and to thank God, for it is through him that my life is as I know it.  
I wonder what other little picture on Pinterest will lead me to my next moment of clarity?

2 comments:

  1. Jess, I don't share a ton about my spirituality, either -- it seems almost fake to purport to know so much about God when I really know so very little. I'm learning every day and (like you) trying to be grateful all the time.

    Your thankfulness always shines through in your writing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. It was such an epiphany to realize that while I pray, I don't give thanks in my prayer. Now I do. Every day. So simple, but such a profound addition to my spiritual life. Thank you for mentioning that my thankfulness shines through. I am glad. I want my family to read my words and feel how much they are loved.

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...