Thursday, January 10, 2013

Art Journaling: Poetry


It has been a while since I pulled out all the poetry books and we sat down and found a poem that spoke to us.  That is how we study poetry.  We search for words that make us feel something -- joy, sadness, pleasure.  When we find that special poem, we add it to our personal anthology.  




For years we kept our anthology in a three ring binder but as the girls grew and matured, we moved our poems into our art journals.  Today Lilah chose Boring by Jack Prelutsky.  Grace chose Keep A Poem in Your Pocket by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers and I chose a poem about Hope by Emily Dickinson.  




Each of us chose our poem for personal reasons.  Grace has a strong connection to this poem and a memory of being in school.  I used to write in a journal that traveled back and forth with her to school.  One day I copied this poem so she would discover it at lunch.   Lilah felt a connection to the character in her poem.  She will often say “I’m bored.” and then go on to do something fabulous like design a dress!  



In that moment of connectivity, these poems stand a far greater chance of taking up residence deep within in their soul, that a random poem from a random poet that I make them copy.  I do ask them to choose a variety of poems and ones that make you feel different emotions.  I need to hit up some book sales this spring to stock up on new poetry books so we have even more poets to discover!





Materials: Grace used Crayola watercolor (over sharpie).
                Lilah used watercolor tubes mixed with with very little water.
                I used watercolor crayons and let the colors bleed and sealed with Modge Podge.
                stencils

10 comments:

Theresa Novak said...

I love this! We are trying to make more time for art---and I would LOVE to find poems that resonate in their soul. I am totally borrowing this idea!! Thank you!!

Karen said...

Yay! I am so glad you posted about this. We both loved the pictures on Instagram. This is great. We will definitely try this. I love how you always do Art Journaling with the girls.

Joan Concilio Otto said...

I'm with my girls Theresa and Karen - this rocks and I'm stealing the idea!

Jessica said...

Borrow away! Have fun!!!

Jessica said...

We have not been journaling as much as we did in the fall. We did our Santa page in December and I felt it was time to slow down and enjoy a poem. They girls were happy with how their pages came out.

Jessica said...

Steal away!!!

Nikki said...

I just pinned this to my "Art Project Ideas" board on pinterest so I won't forget! I love this idea and really want to do it with my girls! Thank you for sharing such an awesome description and pictures.

Amy Ludwig VanDerwater said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful post. What very fortunate children...I am going to be more artful with the poems I copy into my own journal. - Amy

Jessica said...

Thank you Nikki! I find that the girls remember the poems and how they were feeling when they read them much better when they attach art to them. It is almost time for us to do another......

Jessica said...

Thank you Amy! My goal is to inspire them to write more of their own poetry. Hopefully by reading the beautiful words of many poets they will find a style or styles they like and will be more confident and creative in their own writing!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...