Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Bamboo Paper


I posted this picture on Instagram and it generated much interest in how Grace was creating an digital notebook for her book, 50 American Heroes Every Kid Should Meet. I ordered the workbook through Moving Beyond the Page.  The book was purchased as an eBook through Amazon.  Grace and I are reading it on the Kindle App. 



I have to be honest....I love this book.  I love that it honors the heroes of 9/11.  Reading that chapter brought tears to my eyes.  I love that it profiles people in our country who have done amazing things,usually by risking their own personal safety or livelihood, to further our society.  I never knew of Jane Addams, humanitarian, author and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.  I never knew she is compared to Mother Teresa, one of my heroes, only she lived earlier and worked with the poor immigrant population in Chicago.  I have also discovered Mary McLeod Bethune, educator, humanitarian and civil rights activist.  The prophetic words of her last will and testament read in 1955 certainly are applicable today.



I would prefer this as a hard cover book because I find it difficult to flip among chapters digitally.  This is a fantastic reference book that I would like to give as a gift to young people in my family.  However, the digital version has great links to further the exploration of these fascinating heroes.  Just a click and you are linked with booklists, and websites and videos.  This type of reading is still “new” to me and I still find it amazing.

Even though this is not Lilah’s reading for this semester, I have asked her to read along with us.  So many of these heroes have connections to the North East that we are able to create trips based on what we are reading.  Visiting the Clara Barton museum in Oxford, MA is still on my list of things to do......as is the Ground Zero Memorial.  

When the workbook arrived, we realized the graphics seemed bit simplistic, and to be fair, the grade level for this workbook is grade 3-4.  Graphics aside, the content is great and I love the questions it poses to the students. List your own personal hero can easily be modified into write an essay about your personal hero. Rather than discard the workbook, I challenged Grace to use her iPad to create a digital notebook using the workbook as a guide!



Using Bamboo Paper (the free version) she began to write about someone she feels meets the definition of a hero, Clara Barton, not knowing that Clara was actually profiled in this book!  She imported a picture from Google images, saving it to photos and dropping it in the page.  She recalled many facts about Clara Barton from her readings when she was studying the Galveston Hurricane of 1900.  Having that recall so many months later demonstrated to me that this learning became a part of Grace is a permanent, meaningful way.

After Grace created her “page”, she sent it to me via Dropbox where it can be stored ina folder until we wish to print.  As we progress through the book and learn about different people, she will use the iPad to demonstrate her understanding.  As we progress, there will be times when I will ask her to make a video, write an essay, or compare and contrast two people.  There will also be times when I use my favorite line, “just wow me!” and see what she comes up with.  

Along the way I will Instagram what she is creating, and how she is creating it.   




"I leave you love...I leave you hope...I leave you the challenge of developing confidence in one another...I leave you a thirst for education...I leave you respect for the uses of power...I leave you faith...I leave you racial dignity...I leave you a desire to live harmoniously with your fellow man...I leave you finally a responsibility to our young people."
Mary McLeod Bethune

1 comment:

Theresa Novak said...

I am going to download the Bamboo Paper app right now!!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...