Saturday, January 5, 2013

Wrap Up Posts Revisited...


I stopped doing Friday wrap up posts sometime last year.  I had mixed feelings about them.  I loved them.  I loved having the accountability of putting on the blog what we actually accomplished during the week.  At first I was using this blog as more of a portfolio, to show family and friends how we were learning.  No one in my family has experience with homeschooling and many people (including myself) were very successful in traditional public school.  This was a place to come to to see that we were connecting with other children while studying interesting, challenging subjects.  I wanted people close to me to know how it was working for our family.

Sometime last year, I moved away from wrap up posts.  Once I had the comfort of knowing that it was indeed working, I no longer felt the need to publish what we were doing.  I have my binders and records at home to prove that learning is happening each and every day.  

I realize apprehension and anxiety can be caused by reading what another family is doing, if you compare/contrast it to what your family is doing.  I used to do that.  I would tense up realizing that we were not doing advanced math in 4th grade, and we were not attending numerous national competitions, and we were not reading prolific amounts of books.  I came to realize, if my girls were still in public school, they would not be doing any of these things either!  Where they are is just where they should be.  They each have their strengths and they each have their challenges, just like any other child, just like any other family.  I no longer read an author's post and feel like we should'a / could'a / would'a done it differently if only I read that post earlier!

A blog is very much an interactive journal.  There have been so many times that I have searched my archives for a recipe,  read a comment from someone with a link to a site I suddenly needed or referenced up a wrap-up post for an author to recommend to a friend.  Although this blog it is a record of our family’s journey, both our personal journey and our educational journey, it is also a place that I come to often to reference bits and pieces of factual information.

As my girls get older, especially in Grace’s case, I feel like I want that digital record of what she is doing.  I am keeping a transcript for her 7th grade year.  At the end of the year I would like to turn it into a portfolio, a paper and a digital one, including her highlights of the year, piano performances, and work samples.  I am planning to “hire” my brilliant 15 year old nephew to help me with this project!  

I have debated with a second private blog for our family journey and going back the the pure homeschool roots of this one.  My family strongly objects to this.  I have debated starting a blog just for homeschooling middle school.  I don’t keep up with my vegetarian blog, which really should be deleted since I am no longer vegetarian.........there is no way I would keep up with a second blog.  

It may be irrelevant to readers what we did on a week to week basis.  Most may not care if we completed chapter 11 of Zoology 1 or watched a documentary on Super Storm Sandy.  This information is completely relevant to my children however, and will actually be useful when completing a portfolio.  Therefore, I am going back to a weekly wrap up post.  I love Mary’s collage Friday and I love The Homeschool Mother’s Journal link up.   My goal for 2013 is to link with both of these every Saturday!

14 comments:

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love waking up to your post. I never find anxiety only inspiration!!! I enjoy seeing what is working for your family.
ADG

Lynda said...

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this. I've been contemplating why I stopped doing a weekly wrap-up too. It is a wonderful portfolio, but also it gives me a sense of accountability that's been missing in our homeschool. Thank you for sharing this.

Becca said...

I keep a wrap up post every week as a journal for me, hubby and the girls. I like that we can look back every Friday and see what happened that week even if we're not actively homeschooling that week. Looking forward to seeing your wrap up posts.

Theresa Novak said...

I struggle with the same thing as far as wrap-up posts. Sometimes I feel ready to write one and sometimes not, sometimes I wonder if anyone would really be interested...but I must say, when you said you watched a documentary on SuperStorm Sandy, I wanted to know what it was called because I would like to watch it!

Jessica said...

The Weather Channel Presents: Sandy, The Anatomy of a SuperStorm is the title but I can't find a link for you to watch it on youtube. It was very very cool because one of the Professors at Queens College is profiled and we were in the audience for his lecture at the Tri State Weather Conference a month before at WCSU. The eerie thing is his lecture was on this very storm.....what a direct hit by a hurricane to the metro area would do. He called this storm, a month early. He talked about how New Yorkers would not evacuate. He talked about devastation to low lying areas. He talked about beach communities being decimated. Seeing him on The Weather Channel was pretty awesome.

Jessica said...

Likewise Becca! I just popped over to your blog and left you a comment.

Jessica said...

The accountability piece is a big one. I started keeping a paper journal just of our schedule day to day so I can look back and see what we have accomplished. I miss that part of this blog. I miss being able to search Weekly Wrap up and having a timeline our activities and lessons.

Tereza Crump aka MyTreasuredCreations said...

I think you need to do what works for you. :)

I post my MONTHLY (a weekly one is just too much for me!!) learning log for myself as a place to go back and find links and books and things I used and enjoyed with the kids. I also post it to share with other homeschooling moms. There is so many interesting things out there and I think a short review or comment really helps to make the decision if one should use or check out the link.

I enjoy your posts and the information you publish. My oldest is just 9 y.o. so it's good to know someone who has older kids so we can kind of prepare the path up ahead.

aree1997 said...

I never homeschool , but I see my cousins learning in homeschools , always wonder how it actually works. Now I visited few of homeschooled girls and get it! :)

Jessica said...

Not all families learn the same way or learn the same things at the same times. The blogs on my blogroll will give you a good idea of other families who learn close to the same way we do. My girls were in school until 2nd and 4th grade and they may go back to school at some point. We are doing what works for us, for right now!

You should ask your Aunts and Uncles and cousins about it. I am sure they would appreciate your curiosity and answer your questions!

Jessica said...

I have been searching for homeschooling through high school blogs so I can do the same thing! Grace is not sure if she wants to go back to school or not and it causes me a bit of anxiety knowing that her plan is for college and she needs to have specific math and science courses if she continues her desire to study meteorology......that is why I am keeping a transcript and going back to wrap up posts will help me do that!

Susan Getty said...

I know just what you mean about the wrap-up posts, I struggle with the same things. I do like reading about what you and your girls are up to, though :)

Diane said...

I really enjoy reading what you guys do each week. It is a true inspiration to me and very encouraging to see what other families are doing in their home school daily life.
Blessings
Diane

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...