Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Where I long to Be


Do you ever have those days where you know you have to get up, get showered and get the day started but every ounce of your being just wants to crawl back into bed, pull the covers up and sleep, for hours, perhaps for the entire day?

I am having one of those mornings.  Curses that it happens to be on my busiest day of the week - Internship day.  The day I spent about 5 hours in the car.  5 hours.  I drive an hour and 15 min to my friends house where Lilah and her daughter spend the day designing and creating a fabulous garment.  I have a quick lunch, engage in a quick conversation that usually is never finished, and then drive Grace about 45 minutes to the university.  I drop her off and drive the 45 min back to my friends house where I have two glorious hours to enjoy a cup of tea, engage in more conversation where I am actually able to complete a sentence and finish a thought, pack us up, and drive the 45 min back to the university to pick up Grace.  From there we drive an hour home.  Today is the day that I love my Prius.  Even though it is 6 years old, it still averages 45 mpg in the winter.

Normally I love this day.  I don't mind the travel.  I enjoy every minute of visiting with my dear friend.  I love viewing the landscape of the windy country roads I travel.  But today it is dark and stormy.  It is windy and raining.  Not a good day for travel.  A perfect day for snuggling up with my cuddly Daphne and reading a book with an endless pot of coffee.  It is a day for baking.  It is a day for pajamas and slippers.  It is a day for self-care, not selfless giving.  

In order to make this day happen it requires three pairs of rain boots to be packed along with a cooler of food, a rolling cart for Grace, a sewing box and box of fabric for Lilah, two computers, and pillow pets for the car ride.  It require a stop at the gas station and today I will choose the full service station.  It requires the service of our dog sitter.  It requires copious amounts of patience.  

For that I have to dig deep.  For like me, my girls must be feeling the draw of their bed.  I tried to rouse Grace at 6:30am and she looked awake, but I fear that was an Oscar Worthy performance.  I know the child went back to bed, where I long to be.  

9 comments:

Theresa Novak said...

I hope your day gets better and as you get moving it all clicks into place and is wonderful.

I have way, way, way overscheduled us this term. There have been many days where I just wanted to stay home. As much as I am looking forward to the end of March when 3 of these activities end and we will not pick them back up, I also do like the time I get to spend with my friends when the girls are in activities. Hope your day goes well!

Susan Getty said...

I hope that you can find the motivation and patience you need to get through this day, and that you can find a balance between the self-care and the selfless giving. Some days are so tough!

Frogcreek said...

Gah! It is a crappy day... BUT you can do it! When you get to Amy's and she greets you with a warm house, and a cup of something lovely, you will be so glad you went! It's going to be a good, long day, a beauty!

Karen said...

I am commenting and you are probably where you need to be. I so understand this feeling. We don't travel near that far for co-op but some days I long for exactly the same things you just wrote about. Last night I was grumbling about play practice and Keilee said to me, "Mom you always complain about going places but then you always have a good time". So yeah..that about sums it up. Hope your day has and will be beautiful, storms and all.

Jessica said...

We came home to water in our basement but other than that, the storm did not affect us too much. While Greg cleaned up the basement, I cleaned up our bedroom and we ended up getting to sleep earlier than we usually do!

I was a good day, a tiring day, but a good day!

Jessica said...

Getting out of Stratford was tough. Trees uprooted, garbage cans flying....but you were right. She was waiting with hot coffee and that made all the difference!

Jessica said...

Susan,

I let myself sleep in until 7:45 today (Thursday). It felt wonderful! Thank you for your words of support.

Jessica said...

I enjoy that friend time too. We need it just as much as our girls do. I don't feel that we are over scheduled but each of our activities involves a trip somewhere so we are out of the house at least once every single day, 7 days a week. That is what is getting to me. I don't even have the weekends off right now. Once basketball ends next week that will free us from 8 hours of time out of the house, which will be huge! I know the girls will miss it, but I won't!

Jen @ Forever, For Always... said...

Sounds like a good but exhausting day. I had to chuckle over your 45 mpg - I think I get about 18 in my big 12 passenger van :) I think February in general is a tough month. The weather, school, etc etc. Maybe today you will be able to stay in bed a bit longer!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...