Saturday, April 27, 2013

literacy, language, laughter and life


When I posted an email on our homeschooling Yahoo group looking to start a writing group, I had no idea where it would lead.  All I knew was I wanted to give my girls a shared writing experience with older girls who enjoyed writing and sharing their writing.


  • I never imagined they would start a blog.
  • I never imagined they would start a traveling journal.
  • I never imagined they would want to write in the park and at the beach.
  • I never imagined they would begin emailing each other.
  • I never imagined they would become such close friends.





Part of me thought this would be a group of girls who wrote together much like the writing groups I used to belong to.  I enjoyed my time and I learned from their tutelage but I never opened myself up to friendships.  Writing and friendships were very separate for me. 

Once the friendship switch was flipped, there was no turning back for this group of girls.  They range in age from 10 to 14 and while writing provided the connection, their friendship was by choice.  

They call themselves Notebook Girls and they met this week to celebrate their new found friendships.  During our Friday morning writing time, they altered an old composition book into a decorative journal.  They got this idea from the book The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  They wanted a journal that they will share, like the jeans were shared, and their weekly memories will be captured within the pages.  Each week a different girl will get the journal and add to it whatever she wants.  





To kick off the traveling journal, they came together at our house for pizza and popcorn and the movie, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  This is as close to perfection as learning gets.  I want to hold onto this moment and remember that this is why I chose to homeschool.  This is what I want my girls‘ education to look like.  This is the intersection of literacy, language, laughter and life.    

7 comments:

Areeba said...

Cheers! What a cool name. I must say that these girls are just so talented. Writing is an art! Love the journal they decorate :)

Jessica said...

Thank you! It took them a about an hour to complete. I was lucky in that I had denim looking wall paper from a wall paper book I got for free. It tied into their theme of the movie and book. Everything else was glued on using a hot glue gun. I am looking forward to seeing what they put IN the journal!

Karen said...

I love this. I totally am in love with this idea. You are so lucky to have girls like this in your girls lives Jess. I can't wait to see where this takes them all.

Jessica said...

I count my blessings. They have been friends with my friend Monica's daughters for years but two of the girls are new to our friendships and this was the first time the 6 of them met just as friends to hang out and share laughs and create new bonds of friendship. I had such a great time just being with them. It was a perfect way to end the week.

Susan Getty said...

LOVE this, Jess! Jenna saw some pics on Instagram of the shared journal in progress, and she called me over to show me and said she wanted to make one :)

Frogcreek said...

It's just so awesome! I love seeing pictures of them when they are together and in their element. It must be amazing to witness first hand.

Ritsumei said...

What a great opportunity for these girls! And what a lovely way to learn.

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...