Friday, May 10, 2013

A Good Kind of Busy

Our days have taken a turn...not for the better or for the worse, just a turn.  Our mornings have a different feel.  This is partially due to the amazing spring weather we have been experiencing in the North East and it is partly because we are drawn outside for different reasons.

Every morning I begin my day as usual with my cup of coffee and my blog time.  I catch up on my email, read the daily blog updates of my blogging friends, check local news and scan world news.  It takes about an hour, but I am up before 6:30 and I am finished around 7:30am.  

Then I head outside to my growing garden.  It is growing in both size and in greenery.  I check for weeds, look for new sprouts, and give the beds a hearty dose of water.   The sun is just creeping over the trees and the school buses are rolling by.  Dog walkers are out.  Joggers give a wave.  The neighborhood is coming alive and I am watching it happen.  



The girls have been up early too.  We cancelled our cable subscription.  It seemed pointless to pay $100 a month for something we hardly ever use.  Grace took this decision the hardest, since she has jump started her day with Stephanie Abrams on the Weather Channel for years and years.  Now she is outside with me.  She is making Gilly’s salad, changing his water, and refreshing the hay in his  hutch.  Lilah comes out and scoops his poop pellets into the stainless steel bucket and scoops him up to let him run around the area of our yard they carefully blocked off with old fencing.  By 8:30 we have been outside for an hour. 



I am watching my efforts come to life.  I have constructed a bean trellis from old pieces of wood we had in our garage.  I planted scarlett runner beans, peas, and two different kinds of bush beans.  I planted marigolds, which I read are good companion plants.  Lilah planted a bunch of calendula flowers.  If you pop into my home unannounced, you will most likely find me reading about gardening, with my hair pulled back, and dirt caked in my fingernails.  But I will be smiling.  From ear to ear.  For I am happy.  Really, really happy.  Content to my toes which may or may not be barefoot.  



The girls are content too.  We squeeze in CNN Student News at lunch.  They do kitchen chemistry with their friends on playdates and are working on a Thames and Kronos solar system kit for fun.  They took their first solo trip to Main Street with their hard earned money in their pocket (they have had a dog walking job for 2 years) and bought their Mama an iced latte!  The have “farm chores”.  We do math in the car and we are about to finish our latest audiobook, Pictures of Hollis Woods.  Our previous book was Tuck Everlasting and before that, Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree.  We are watching the Amazing Race season 20 and we are spending quality time with friends, new and old.  We are looking forward to visiting with their Grandparents who are traveling north from Tennessee.  We are busy.  A very good kind of busy.



That rut we were in, after our return from Tennessee, well, we dug our way out of it and found our groove again.

9 comments:

aunt donna said...

I LOVED Pictures of Hollis Woods and Tuck Everlasting.I may get a copy of the gardening book you have on your lap also..

Theresa Novak said...

I can hear the happiness in your voice and this gives me hope. We did not have a great week--mostly due to a stomach bug, but this post gave me some inspiration that next week will be better!

Jessica said...

We have to go with the law of averages. Last week was awesome....up until yesterday and that was a super craptastic day. Today is better. I go with the better days and move past the ones that suck.

Jessica said...

I did not really enjoy that book. I loved Square Foot Gardening and I am using that book as a model for how to build my gardens.

When Hollis Woods was finished I thought Lilah was going to cry. She said it was one of her most favorite books. I had the pleasure of meeting Patricia Reilly Giff years ago and I love her books. Do you have any favorite middle school level books to recommend? I am thinking City of Ember and maybe something by Pam Munoz Ryan for our next books.

Aunt Donna said...

As I remember, I enjoyed City of Ember. I found it a little weird but the kids seemed to like it. I also read the second book in the series, the title of which I can't recall. I'll look up others.

Susan Getty said...

What a beautiful kind of busy! I can feel your happiness and contentment from here :)

Becca said...

I have found gardening what I can fills me with joy, too. I have plans to add more and that feels good as well. So happy doing what you can in the space you have is working so well for you.

Karen said...

I can tell how happy you are Jess. I am so glad. I love reading about your days and your garden and the girls learning. It is just a lovely thing to see. I can't wait to see how your garden progresses. I guess I will live vicariously through you this year. I want to get a Thames and Kronos kit but I am not sure which one Keilee would enjoy. I have a gift certificate to Amazon and have been back and forth a bit. Happy weekend and Happy Mother's Day Jess!

Lula B @ NavigatingByJoy.com said...

Reading this post was so soothing. You sound in a wonderfully relaxed groove. Isn't spring just delicious!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...