Sunday, May 26, 2013

Art Journaling: Words Matter


This week Grace discovered an old journal I bought for her three years ago at a library book sale.  She poured through her old entries which brought her back in time to when she first began homeschooling.  Back then she was more of a list maker and she detailed her day from morning though night.  I encouraged her to pick up that journal again and jump right in now, three years later.  The person she is now is so different than that ten year old girl.  How she has grown.  How her life has changed.    Imagine the rediscovery of yourself at 10, 13, 15, 18, etc.....




I shared this story with the girls and I encouraged, but did not require, our art journaling group to write.  Write about what they are feeling, thinking, wondering, questioning, wanting, reading, playing, visiting, learning.  Set a timer if it helps keep the pen moving across the paper and move those thoughts from the inside of your soul to the outside.



I think that is where some children get caught up in the act of writing.  It is not the physical act that is challenging, it is the emotional act of writing.  Of taking a piece of your private self and sharing it.   Those children may feel more comfortable making lists or favorite things, or writing down a favorite recipe, something that is not so personal and private.  

This piece of writing served as the background of our art journal page.




The page was adhered to the journal with Modge Podge and then sprayed with Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303A.  This is super stinky and I did not let the children do this.  I took their page outside to spray and then gave it a quick dry with the hairdryer.  Open windows for good ventilation, or better yet, do this page En Plein Air!

The Krylon provides a smooth finish to the page which allows the writer/artist to add another layer with ease.  A word or phrase or quote that acts as a title is written across the page and details are added and colored in.





The girls wrote about moving from Florida, backyard chicken antics, wanting to own a bakery, blessings, all the things that are important in their lives right now.  Imagine how wonderful it will be to open up these journals years from now and rediscover a bit of who you were when you were ten, eleven, twelve and thirteen years old. 




How I wish I had kept my old journals.  

12 comments:

Theresa Novak said...

Great and beautiful! I am really enjoying "Writing Down the Bones"! Great recommendation!

Jessica said...

I am so glad you are enjoying it. I keep coming back to it again and again. Have you read any of Ralph Fletcher's books on writing? I think I am going to revisit some of his to inspire these girls to take their writing to the next level. It would be nice if we could meet every week rather than every other because I think writing also requires momentum. Every other week is not enough for reluctant writers.

Phyllis said...

These are absolutely wonderful. Thank you for telling us step-by-step how they were made. I agree with you that most of the battle of writing is getting over the emotional aspect of it. Thank you for this post.

Jessica said...

You are welcome! I am glad you enjoyed it. Art journaling is one of my passions and I love to share it with others!

Rosemarie said...

I have a Rubbermaid tub filled with all my old journals from when I was about 6 years old. I have read through them once since I first wrote them and it is pretty neat, one day when I am even older it will be an amazing thing to read back on my childhood and hope that my boys may think it is neat once am gone.

The girls journals are so beautiful.

Lula B @ NavigatingByJoy.com said...

Art journalling in a group must be so much fun. My daughter does it and I sometimes join her. I enjoy it too but there always seems to be something else to do ... I need to prioritise it I think!
Thanks for the tips, we've never ever used Modge Podge let alone Krylon, it all sounds very high tech!
I've got journals going back to when I was 11. So funny to read back on!
The pages are beautiful.
Lucinda

Jenn said...

Such beautiful journals! I hope to incorporate some of your ideas into the creative writing class that I'll be teaching some homeschoolers in the fall. We always start off art journaling as a way of easing into the writing process.

My mom saved my old journals...the girls and I found them in my parent's attic. Oh my! What a trip down memory lane;)

Jessica said...

Thank you. I keep all their notes to me, their cards and their letters so one day I can tie them up with a ribbon and share them with their kids. It's also the reason I print out this blog every year, to keep that history alive.

Jessica said...

It is too easy to get pushed aside! Having a group means a scheduled time and that ensures that we do it. When we took a break from our group, we did a page here or there but it was harder to find the time. I am beginning a new 4 week group where we are going to transform an old board book into an art journal. I am looking forward to that since it has a start date and an end date and hopefully we will be able to complete a journal in that time!

Jessica said...

I have a few things but I was always so afraid to be honest in my journals and I ended up tearing them up. I was afraid I would be judged by what I wrote or offend someone. I am so glad my girls don't have that same sense of fear in their writing.

Karen said...

As always I love all your Art Journal posts. Are you sure you couldn't jet up here once a week to teach my Art Journal class this fall? :) These are just beautiful. I have never heard of Krylon. I know all the girls just adore this journaling class Jess.

Diane said...

Looks like they all had a wonderful time. All the art looks great. I really need to sit down and savor some art journaling time. It has been too long.
Blessings
Diane

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...