Sunday, May 5, 2013

Nature


When Lilah came home for her learning, one of the first activities she joined was a nature immersion “class”.  12 consecutive Tuesdays were spent in the woods exploring ponds, catching frogs, identifying edible plants, singing songs, playing games and discovering the joy of nature.  I felt guilty that Lilah was having this experience while Grace was in school where the only interaction with nature came from the pages of a text book or the warm breeze that would drift in through the open window.

My girls now spend every Wednesday immersed in nature. Only this time it is not a class or a organized activity. 

This is pure discovery with no lesson plan. 



This is hours of uninterrupted connection with the earth.



  
This is discovery of creatures never seen before.  



This is the wonder of birth. 



This is the feel of dirt between toes.  


This is an experience that my girls cannot have at our home.  At our home they can ride bikes on safe sidewalks for miles.  They can be at the beach in five minutes.  They can walk to the library (although we don’t), and run next door to their friend’s house to play.  They know every dog in a three block radius and they hear the whistle of the train announcing that their Dad is home.  

I am truly blessed to have a friend who welcomes us into her house every week and shares the life she is building one seed at a time with us.  It is a gift.  Through these visits, I am inspired.  I marvel at two people who made a choice to live their dream.  So many of us just wish for things to be different.  We feel stuck in a situation we feel is out of our control.  How many of us actually take the risk to stop wishing and start changing? 

Every week I see progress on a dream in action.  Whether it is a new strategy for dealing with invasive grass, or a new fence surrounding freshly planted beds, or ducks that are almost ready to swim in a crystal clear stream, or two girls who look just a little bit older.......the visit is soothing to my soul.  

8 comments:

  1. I would absolutely love this kind of opportunity every week. What amazing pictures Jess. I seriously love these glimpses into your life. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place. You would love my friend Amy. I can imagine the three of us sitting on her front porch having the most amazing conversation.....

      Delete
  2. It's so awesome! Amy is the best, she has crayfish. :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and chickens, and ducks, and rabbits and roosters and a cat and a creek and a farm!

      Delete
  3. What a blessing to have this opportunity! And I love your words..."to take the risk to stop wishing and start changing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to take my own words to heart and implement some changing in my own backyard! I am excited to follow along with you this summer and see what changes we both make!

      Delete
  4. Reading this post was a wonderful sensory experience - thank you! I love your great big photos. I feel like I've just been on a mini-vacation :-)
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad my post brought you joy.

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...