Wednesday, June 12, 2013

10 Things You Will Find in My Kitchen


I am not part of the iHomeschool Network but many of the bloggers I read every day are.  Their posts have inspired me to have a bit of fun on my blog.  

In the spirit of the Top 10 Posts, here are my top 10 things you will find in my kitchen.

Coconut Oil.  I would be lost without this, seriously lost.  It is the base for my homemade deodorant.  It is the base oil in my homemade granola.  It gets melted and mixed with patchouli oil to sooth me on a stressful day.   I fry up my quesedillas in a pat of coconut oil and I sautee all my veggies in it (or olive oil).  I would love to know what your favorite use for coconut oil is.  

Granola.  I eat this every day.  Lately I make a double batch and freeze some of it.   Granola is my breakfast and often my late night snack.  A bowl of this with ice cold soy milk is better to me than ice cream, and that is saying a lot because I used to have a serious addiction to ice cream.  Since going cow-milk free, I can’t stand the taste of it anymore. The recipe is super simple.
  
3 cups oats (I use organic)
lots of add ins, approximately 2 cups (dried cranberries, chopped raw almonds, cashews, grated coconut, sunflower seeds, etc. I use whatever I have on hand)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil (I use sunflower, coconut, even walnut oil) 
Combine the wet ingredients.  Mix into the dry thoroughly.  
Spread onto two baking sheets evenly.  
Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon.  I have no idea how much I use, 
but I tend to think it is a lot.

My herbs.  I try as much as possible, to heal my family holistically.  This may mean using eye bright tea bags to soothe eyes that are irritated from a nasty summer cold or it may mean that I take out my tackle box filled with homeopathic remedies to treat a cold, cough, headache or stomach ache.  My herbs are taken by some of us daily and others as needed.  My supply is growing and I have no idea how to best store them.  My counter top is in a constant state of clutter but I have yet to find a way to keep everything organized and categorized.  Help would be appreciated.

Ball Jars.  We store food in them and we drink out of them.  I love to see them filled to the brim with a green smoothie but lately I have been making my own lemonade ice tea.  I add it to mineral water and drink a jar a day!  The intense lemon is good to help detox the body and the mineral water has healing properties. Ironically, I don’t store my lemonade/tea in a Ball Jar, but in a large Weck Jar.  I have a few of these in my kitchen and they are a beautiful way to store food and spices.  

My coffee.  This needs no explanation.  I have tried to give it up, I can’t.  It is the start to my day, every day.  Just one cup.  I feel no guilt.

Chocolate.  We have enough to give it it’s own special place in the cabinet.  My favorite is Trader Joe’s dark chocolate with almonds.  I love the chocolate that Greg brings home from New York but I try my hardest to eat GMO free/organically and often I have no idea of the ingredients.  Trader Joe’s label ensures me a GMO free product.  Now that I openly profess I have a piece of dark chocolate a day, I no longer have to hide.  I hit rock bottom when I ate my girl’s Valentine chocolates a few years ago.  All of them.  I still catch a bit of grief about this indiscretion.  I have very little self control when it comes to chocolate.  I still feel badly.  I am truly sorry girls.  Mommy has her own chocolate now, so she won’t ever ever take yours again!

Music.  Music and cooking/eating go hand in hand.  We recently discovered 8tracks.com.  Need invigorating breakfast music?  There is a playlist for that.  Classical dinner piano music?  There is a playlist for that too!   Baking cupcakes and need background music?  There are 16 pages of playlists for that!!

Spices.  I love to try out new flavors when I cook.  Did you know that BJ’s is now selling organic spices?  I go through large amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg when baking my granola, so to have a large amount on hand is critical.  Stop and Shop is now carrying Simply Organic spices and we have a Penzy’s store nearby.  My favorite spice has to be turmeric which I use in everything from chicken soup to eggs, to sautéed vegetables.  

Coffee cups.  I collect them.  I rotate them by season.  We each have our favorite.  Mine is a mug that was made for me by a special friend.  I also regularly use a few that were given to me by my Mother and my Marine’s mug that I got when my brother graduated from Quantico.  Greg loves the owl mugs from WestElm and there is nothing like a huge mug of hot tea on a cold winter day.  I love my mugs so much that they are kept out on my hutch displayed with my tea collection.  

Skoy Cloths. A young friend of mine convinced me to go paper towel free.  I have to admit I have not been able to go 100% free.  We use them to clean up after the dogs; wipe muddy paws and clean up the occasional accident by Daphne. Despite these occasional pet mishaps, we hardly ever reach for a paper towel anymore.  They have been replaced by Skoy Cloths.  We love them and use them for everything that would normally be done by a paper towel (except wash windows...for that we use old newspaper).  To clean, just toss the Skoy in the laundry or in the dishwasher at night.  They last forever and you feel good about reducing waste in your home.

I was not paid to mention, nor have I received any of these items.  I use them because I love them.  That's all.




11 comments:

Shel said...

We love our Skoy Cloths! Which reminds me, I need to order some more! :)

Theresa Novak said...

It is so funny lately so many recipes I am using call for Turmeric and I don't have that. Shop Rite also carries Simply Organic (and at way cheaper prices than our health food store) I have to see if they have Turmeric. you have me intrigued.

We committed to cloth napkins several years ago and never looked back. I am going to go check out Skoy cloths! Thanks!

Great fun list. Maybe if I have time today I will make one.

Sandra said...

I can't keep chocolate in my kitchen - if it is there I'd eat it. Not sure my kids would forgive me if I ate their chocolate.

Joan Concilio Otto said...

This was fun! Our tea mug collection sounds like your coffee cup collection too... rather enormous.

Diane said...

I really need to start using coconut oil. After looking at your list it kind of looks like what you would find in my kitchen. I recently discovered granola and eat it everyday. I get it from a local farmer's market. I am also a chocolate lover, especially dark chocolate.
Blessings
Diane

Jessica said...

I need to place and order as well!

Jessica said...

Since you love ethic foods, especially Indian and Middle Eastern, I think you will love it. My girls call my chicken stir fry "yellow chicken" because I use so much of it. I like to combine it with a bit of fresh ginger, garlic and onion. I love the way my kitchen smells when I cook with it. Let me know what you think!

Jessica said...

It has been two years and I still hear about it regularly. It is a favorite story they tell people to point out my flaws......

Jessica said...

Thanks for the inspiration for this post!

Jessica said...

I think you and I have a lot in common!

Jen Dunlap said...

I've never heard of Skoy Cloths. I'm embarrassed to admit how many paper towel rolls we go through.... I love granola and I haven't made any in a long time. I need to do that soon!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...