Thursday, July 25, 2013

Writing Group: Grammar


I love the book First Language Lessons for the well trained mind by Jesse Wise.  Lilah and I worked in it every day when she first came home.   It is basic grammar taught in a fun, hands on style.  

I believe that many of these lessons can be easily adapted to fit the older child who needs to review or how has just been introduced to grammar.  

We began writing group with a review of verbs, specifically linking or helping verbs.  The girls were given the directions to cut out two or three pictures from magazines that they found interesting.  They glued the pictures into their journals and wrote a sentence about the picture.  They were introduced to the concept of diagramming a sentence by boxing the verb and the helping verb.  



A list was added to their journal.  They discovered on their own that the helping verbs changed depending on the tense of the sentence.  To vary their sentences, they used different tenses.  


It was a fun mini-lesson adapted from First Language Lessons.  

7 comments:

Phyllis said...

This is just the type of thing I had in mind for my boys this fall. Thank you for posting this, to give me the confidence.

Jessica said...

Because the girls are so much older, you don't need all the repetition that is in the book (recommended for kids in the early elementary grades). I find that I can skip over several lessons and create fun mini-lessons like the one above. I will keep posting what I come up with! This week we will cover abbreviations!

Karen said...

You always do the best things. I think I have that book around here somewhere. I should revisit it.

Homegrown Learners said...

Jess, I had never thought about this -- it's a great idea! We used FLL and loved it!

Discovering Montessori said...

Great! My children are 9 and 12 and have been following the Montessori sequence of grammar for the past two years. Now it is time to put some pencil to paper and I just brought First Language Lessons(vo1 3). I knew this is what was right for them, but I was stuck on how to present it to them in a way that didn't look early elementary. Thank you for sharing how you are using this with your daughters, so inspiring. I love homeschooling blogs for this very reason, we all try to figure out what is the best way for our children and sometimes along the way we can inspire, and bless others with our talents.

I feel very blessed to have read this post today! Thank you for sharing.

Jessica said...

I want to speed them through the remainder of this book so we can move on. The great thing is rather than 2 or 3 lessons devoted to verbs or proper nouns, the girls are old enough that they get it in just one mini-lesson. They had most of the list of helping verbs memorized just from talking about them as a group. I am going to keep posting the ways I modify this book for the older child.

Jessica said...

You are very welcome! I feel exactly the same way about homeschool blogs and comments like yours are what keep me blogging! I plan to keep posting little mini lessons that clearly illustrate how I am modifying this book for the older student. There is so much rich language in this book that I want to pass on but I don't want to have the girls working through multiple lessons when they no longer need that form of repetition. I am figuring it out as I go!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...