Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cape Cod 2013


“it's a smile, it's a kiss, it's a sip of wine ... it's summertime!” 
― Kenny Chesney

Last week gave me all this and more.  A week spent in Cape Cod, Massachusetts is a little slice of heaven.  It has always been one of my favorite spots, a spot to relax, to inhale deeply, and savor the salty briny air.  I have been coming here since I was a baby and now I get to relive the moments of my childhood through the eyes of my children, and my nephews.  








When I was just a little girl, my grandfather would take me to the beach before the sand combers arrived, before most people were opening their eyes and just after the sun began its ascent over the horizon. In these waters we found whelk shells.  Huge shells.  At low tide the water was clear enough to spot them and dive for them.  They were brought home, boiled to  kill any bacteria and painted with clear nail polish.  They were our treasures.  





Over the years my girls have formed their own traditions during their time at the Cape.  Traditions like early morning bike rides with their father and coffee runs and trips the bakery in town with their Grandfather. 



They will remember being carried into the ocean like a sack of potatoes by their uncle to avoid the dreaded seaweed.  They will remember jumping off rocks fully clothed and playing with their little cousin for hours and hours.  




This week is a gift given to us by my parents.  It brings them joy to see their family tradition shared down through two more generations.  It is a rare opportunity that we all have to share time and space, a smile, a kiss and a sip (or two) of wine.

4 comments:

  1. WHAT A fun fun place to renew yourself! The kids looked like they were smiling from ear to ear the entire time. So glad you had this "space" to veg out! Enjoy your school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! We are not starting quite yet.....I have some planning and ordering yet to do. Our not back to school day will be when the public school kids start - August 28th. Enjoy the start to your year!!!

      Delete
  2. Keilee and I followed along on Instagram. We laughed at your nephew photo bombing Grace's pictures and oohed and aahed over the beautiful Yoga mornings and just the sheer beauty of this place. I have always imagined spending summers at "The Cape" ;) Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yoga was pretty awesome. I miss it. The yoga and The Cape!

      Delete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...