Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Our Favorite Spot this Summer


Living so close to the water brings me joy.  Until recently I never appreciated what I had in my own backyard.  I always compared Long Island Sound to beaches in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine and our beach always fell short.

Until this year.  This year our beach has been magical.  I plan to write the Public Works Department a thank you letter for the care they have put into the keeping of our little treasure.  It has never looked more beautiful.  The sand is combed daily.  There is no litter, anywhere.  A few years ago we filled bags with the litter that was either left behind by careless visitors or washed up on shore.  Now our favorite spot, a tidal inlet, is pristine.  The water is clear and clean.  When the light hits the water just right reflecting the blue of the summer sky, I can almost imagine that I am somewhere else, on vacation, but then I realize I don’t have to do that.  I don’t have to dream myself to another location.  I am in the perfect one already.














3 comments:

Phyllis said...

I know what you mean. Our beach is on the Chesapeake Bay, not the ocean, so it always pales in comparison to other beaches, but oh, it is beautiful and lovely and ours.

Karen said...

Beautiful Jess and you are SO lucky to live so near the beach. I would love to be able to just drive to a beach.

Homegrown Learners said...

Jess, this is what I miss the most about living in Florida growing up -- here in Atlanta we have NO BEACH and not one even remotely close. We're going to the beach for Thanksgiving and I just can't wait - you're right - it's magical and such a fabulous place for making memories.

It looks like you all had a wonderful sumer!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...