Sunday, October 6, 2013

History: Ireland's Great Hunger Museum




History Update: Love it! Having Grace design our program for this year has been such a great experience. Her first book was So Far From Home: The Diary of Mary Driscoll, An Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847. To supplement her reading, we completed the DVD, Out of Ireland, which I highly recommend.













We used our field trip day to head to Ireland’s Great Hunger Museum which is part of Quinnipiac University, located in Hamden, Connecticut. I have driven by this museum many times never noticing it before, but now that I have been, I am having a hard time forgetting the haunting works of art that it contains. Something that struck me is that pain and suffering are universal. These pieces could have been found at a holocaust museum or even one dedicated to our own country’s struggle with poverty and hunger (on a much smaller scale).






3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. I don't think I will ever make it to Conn., so it gives me a chance to see the Hunger Museum. The pieces are wonderfully haunting. I love the literature connections.

Tereza Crump aka MyTreasuredCreations said...

WE have been studying about the Irish famine too. We are studying the years just before 1900 and we have found so many fascinating history like settlers been taken captive by Indians in Texas, the Irish famine, Helen Keller and lots of inventions, the huge immigration to America. WE got a list of a couple of YouTube videos we found on the Irish on my blog. TFS!

Karen said...

I am so glad that the History is working so well for you. I picked up 5 Dear America books at a book sale. I love that museum, you are right, so haunting. I can't wait to see all the History posts that you are going to write!! :)

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...