Thursday, July 14, 2016

Yada Yada

A friend told me about The Yada Yada Prayer Group Series by Neta Jackson, when we were discussing the Selection series.  Book 1 arrived the weekend I was away at the Fair Warrior Retreat and book 5 should arrive from Amazon today. 




The timing was simply perfect.  My small group at the retreat was made up of women of different ages, countries and cultures and I love them all.  What seemed to be a random matching was actually a decision that was prayed over and given careful consideration.  God knew what He was doing when He placed us together! When Fair Warrior concluded Sunday morning, we agreed to stay in touch via email and continue our relationships.  

These women will always hold a special place in my heart because I let myself be me in front of them, something I never do.  I went into this retreat with my guard up, the emotional scars I carry from past friendships hidden deep behind the protective boundary I now carry when meeting new women.  I was honest about my boundaries during our very first small group meeting.  However, I let them crash to the ground when I got real and I got emotional during a small group breakout session when I realized that I Am Enough.  I learned Psalm 139 and for the first time I really understood it.  I may have cried, not the sweet, weepy cry where just a few tears are shed from glistening eyes, but the ugly cry where your soul is rocked and you can’t carry on your story through the tears.  After this, this moment where I was raw and real, this small group of women prayed over me and I let their words wash away my tears.  It was beautiful and honest and authentic and will never ever be forgotten.

Yada Yada is a work of fiction based on real events that transpired in the author’s prayer groups over the years and in stories shared with her from other’s prayer groups.  We all have the opportunity to have connections like this in our lives if we answer God’s call to serve others.  I want this in my life.  I want real relationships not based on my children’s educational choice, or friendships, but on my own.  I want relationships that I choose, that I nurture, that I value.  I have a friend walking and praying her way through a valley and she was in need of help.  Grace offered to watch her daughter for 2 days so she could attend to family issues with undivided attention.  




We had a great two days.  There was sidewalk chalk and wolf painting.  There was swimming and splash pad playing.  There was bike riding and card games, and hide and seek.  There was story telling and VBS song singing.  Because my girls are perfectly capable of attending to a child, I was freed up to do some of the errands for my friend, easing her load just a bit.   What should have felt like a very busy week, did not.   


In Hebrew Yada one meaning of “yada” is to understand the needs of others and meet them.  I experienced a bit of my own Yada Yada sisterhood this week and I was left all the better because of it.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Thank you for sharing my fellow Fair Warrior. The special relationships we forged through our small group are truly a gift from God. Thank you for this reminder a little over a month after the retreat. I have read the Yada Yada series and want to re-read it now!

LJS said...

I'm very excited about a Fair Warrior small group reunion soon! I think about everyone often and wonder where life is taking them. Catching up will be so refreshing.

Anaise said...

I love the Yada Yada books!! I discovered them quite by accident at the library one day years ago . . . the characters in those books have become good friends and role models for me. I wonder if my "accident" was more of a miracle. :)

How lovely that you and your girls were able to help your friend!!

LJS said...

I don't believe in "accidents" anymore either! These books have taught me so much and changed my prayer life. I often have my book in one hand and my Bible in the other!

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...