Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Revive



I have a very strong feeling that the next four to eight years are going to be difficult ones.  I hope I am wrong, but I just feel deep in my soul that these are troubling times on so many fronts and at times I wonder just how much we can do to affect the outcome.  Can we vote?  Of course, but presented with our options, I feel that I am sacrificing a bit of my values to vote the way I will.  I cannot live in fear of terrorism, domestic or international.  I cannot pass a legacy of fear on to my children.  If called to rise, of course I will choose to defend life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  However, in the meantime, I feel like I have never felt before the call of prayer.  

If I fill myself up with the word of God, then I find that the fears of the world don’t creep into my soul.  Think about all the things we have to worry about for our children.  I could worry my days away, no exaggeration, but Matthew 6 changed my life.  It took away my worry, at least my worry about most things.  I’d be lying if I said I did not worry about my daughter getting her license soon and driving among people who no longer follow basic driving laws. But the big worries that are completely out of my control are put in check against the Word of God.  

I have asked my family to join with me in welcoming Jesus into our lives not just as a historical figure we know of, but as someone we want to befriend us and teach us and guide us.  I had no idea how many opportunities to fill up our spiritual tank we have available to us.  Since we are all music lovers, the most natural way for our family to participate in this together outside of weekly church services, is to seek out ways to worship.  Sirius XM has The Message.  Pandora has a great contemporary Christian channel.  Lighthouse Events promotes Christian Artists throughout New England and our church is often the host venue for many of those events.  We also have a dynamic young adult worship band at church who I believe is doing and will continue to do great things in our local community.



One week to the day after Chris Tomlin’s Worship Night, we found out about Revive, a three church collaboration in Bridgeport featuring our own young adult worship band.  The venue, The Klein Auditorium was filled with 700 people, most young adults and late teens gathered together in the stifling heat and humidity to sing and praise and celebrate.  It was so powerful.  Different from being in New York, but equally as special because this was what Worship Night America was all about....bringing Jesus into your homes, your communities, your streets and seeking a change.  Think about it.  If more people followed Jesus and His teachings, how much better would our community, our state, our nation, our world be?  People may not wander into a church, but they certainly might wander off the street to a free event where music is playing loudly and people are celebrating joyously.  It’s fanning a flame and we need to make that flame spread into a raging inferno street by street, community by community.  




2 comments:

Theresa B said...

I am catching up on blog reading today!

I agree with your 100% about this election - I don't like either of the choices. I don't have confidence in them. I don't think the country will be better off because of them.

I remember you posting something several years ago - maybe our first year of homeschooling about not finding peace. I remember wishing I had the words then to tell you about what you have found now. I came to this in a different way than you...my mother had cancer and I felt so powerless and so scared an the absolute only place I found peace was on my knees on the floor of the living room (that was just where I felt overcome to just PRAY) in a tiny apartment Jason and I were renting at the time. From then on, prayer, worship, 99.1 our local Christian station has always given me peace. In the last few elections, my prayer was like a conversation with God, "I trust you that you know what you are doing". If my candidate doesn't win, that's ok, because I trust that God knows what he is doing.

And the whole driving thing has me scared, too. I also completely agree if more people befriended Jesus the world would be a better place.

LJS said...

I could do a whole separate blog post but what fueled this one was watching the news with Greg the other night (something I don't do much of anymore) and the newscaster declared it an "emergency" because 4 people were infected (at the time) in Florida with Zika. Yes this is a problem. Potentially a big one, but an emergency? No. I got angry. How much fear can the media pump into us? I am so tired of being in a place of fear, either in my parenting or in my life. I choose not to be afraid. I choose to put my faith in my faith, not in a man or a woman, a party or a platform. I just can't do it anymore.

I'm so glad we each came to this place. I only hope more of us do and we reclaim what has been taken from us, our sense of peace.

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...