Tuesday, June 13, 2017

CT Art Trail: Lyman Allen Art Museum

Stop two on the CT Art Trail took us up the coast to New London to visit Lyman Allen Art Museum which is practically on the campus of Connecticut College.  The main floor gallery houses a few Weir paintings which is why I wanted to tag this visit on immediately following last week’s trip to Weir Farm.  


























I love art museums.  I realize my girls don’t and that’s ok because I think just being in an art museum counts.  I don’t critique the art.  I don’t read every plaque.  I just look around and look a bit longer at what I find interesting, or beautiful, or even ugly or disturbing because art can make you feel all the feels!  




I’m glad my girls are humoring me in this summer adventure.  They are getting to know people from coop a little better.  I have some time to visit with parents and get to know them better.  It’s a win/win.  It doesn’t hurt that I sweetened the deal just a bit with a trip to one of our favorite seafood restaurants for a late lunch on our way home.







These are the places in our state that I have always said “someday” to.  Someday I will get there.  Someday I would love to do that.  Someday I will see that artist’s work.  Someday I will take the time to travel to out of the way places.  



Grace is a senior.  SENIOR.  There is no more time.  Now is the time to do every little thing I wished we got to over the past three years.  It’s now.  I don’t think there are many restful days ahead for us this summer.  I want to squeeze every last drop out of the next two and a half months.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy art museums as well and art galleries. My girls don't. I am glad you put that in here, that this was something you love and they don't. I agree completely. Just being there counts. Now you are inspiring me I have said someday we will get to the Guggenheim and someday I will take them to MoMA (I LOVE MoMA, I used to know my way around that place very well, but I have not been in probably 20 years and the girls have never been). Maybe this summer... We will see, we have lots of plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to MoMa and Greg works right around the corner. There is a chance I may be in NY for a day or two alone this August. We should meet there!

      Delete
  2. I loved that museum. We used to go weekly when the boys were younger for a great homeschool art class. Enjoy your summer. Yale's art museum is pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you used to post about that! I left Yale off our list because we have been so many times. I want to try to hit the ones we have never visited first. But I am craving my favorite chicken curry soup from the noodle house right around the corner from Yale Art Museum.......

      Delete
  3. "Grace is a senior. A SENIOR. There is no more time" YES YES YES!

    ReplyDelete

Due to high levels of span, comment moderation is turned on for the time being. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I will return it shortly!

Revive Conference 2017

One of the questions homeschoolers get asked ad nauseam is “will they be ready for the ‘real world’?”  Homeschooling is a world free fro...