Friday, September 1, 2017

CT Art Trail #7: The Mattatuck Museum

What I remember about this trip is not the museum, but the feeling that pushed me to plan this summer-long adventure.  I am tired of waiting for things to happen.  I am tired of saying that I will get to something only to never get to it.  My life is very full and I am busy no matter how hard I try to slow down.  Homeschooling the way we homeschool with two teens is busy.  However, I know that if I don’t put me into the mix somewhere I tend to feel lost.  So one day I made a list of all the things we want to do that we have not done and on my list was the art trail.  



The Mattatuck Museum is in downtown Waterbury, a city that reminds me of the city I grew up in Worcester, Massachusetts.  




I have been driving Interstate 84 through Waterbury since I was a teen and I have always noticed this huge stone church and wanted to see the inside.  Why do we not take the time to do the things we want to do, but we will bend over backwards to make sure we do things for others?  When we were leaving the museum, I took a “wrong” turn that led us right to the church and I told the girls I wanted to go in.  So we did.   Thirty years I have wanted to see this church and I promised myself I will not wait any longer to do the things I want to do.  I will just keep working through my list and adding to it as I think of more things to do and try and explore.  



The museum was also a nice little adventure.  I liked it more than the girls did.  I liked the street art, the Winslow Homer prints, the Wyeth  Portrait of Hope Elizabeth Robinson and noticed a new to me art form I have to research, the photogram.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't You Just Stay Home All Day?

It’s funny because last night at youth group some of the kids friends were discussing homeschooling and really truly felt that we stay home...